Tuesday 1 February 2011

LACE MAKING WITH WASHAWAY

MAKING A LACE TYPE FABRIC USING WASH AWAY

EQUIPMENT
  • DOMESTIC MACHINE
  • WASH AWAY
  • EMBROIDERY HOOP
1. Put the fabric into the embroidery hoop and pull tight until the fabric or hoop will not more. Try to remove as much ease as possible.
2. Drop the teeth and take off the ordinary foot and replace with a clear embroidery foot.
3. Bring spool thread up to the top of your work and place threads around fingers loosely.
4.cut loos thread off avoiding them tangling within the lace sample.
5. Shapes need to interlock or else they will wash away with the remaining glue.
6. Wash sample in hot soapy water and then rinse with cold water and hang up to dry until all glue and water it absorbed into the lace type.

As you can see my samples aren't the best! I found this workshop the most difficult as you have to have:
Patience
Control
Focus
Which I have none of !
I attempted this technique twice and the last attempt worked better than the first as I got used to the speed of the machine which was an improvement to when I first started. I added different scraps of material in white to contrast with the vibrant colour scheme of turquoise, purple and orange I used. I definitely wouldn't use this technique again unless I practised and got better at it or else I would just ruin my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment