Today has been spent creating a Waspie corset. I have been lectured by a fellow student " Dawn Sinclair" on how to create this corset step by step. I have acquired many skills throughout the process of making this corset and been introduced to some materials that I have never used before. The final product has turned out quite well considering it was my first attempt on constructing a corset so overall the day has been a success.
Tuesday, 28 February 2012
Sunday, 26 February 2012
We had a project where we had to find a portrait painting and recreate in the style of using similar clothes that were sourced from Cancer Research. I chose a painting that was called "the student Gwendolen" by Mary John. I bought my whole outfit for under £10 purchasing a shirt, flared skirt, ribbon and borrowing the books, table and chair. I think it has worked really well the composition and with the lighting and background it looks more like the original. What do you think?
The first task for creating my coat was to create a block for a flat kimono and then had to adapt the patterns to provide the shape and structure. The next step was to then manufacture the basic flat kimono for me to then apply the design lines of my design to it. This is similar to a pattern cutting skill I discovered a couple of months ago which I will use to create this coat toile.
I have now reached the decision of what I want to include within my final collection. This collection will be made up of: a jacket,1 dress, 2 tops, 2 pairs of trousers, 1 coat and a shift dress. After designing 50 different outfits it has allowed me to explore different ideas and now I feel confident with constructing the chosen few.
I hope all goes to plan and I can construct them all in time for the fashion show.
Which is your favourite?
Thursday, 23 February 2012
During our time spent in London we visited Somerset House where the David Koma and Holly Fulton's show were at. This was an excuse to people watch all day long capturing the newest trends and styles that normal folk where on the streets. This made me realise how much effort people made to be snapped by the paparazzi. I took a couple of photos that you can look at and let me know which is your favourite.
During out trip to London, we visited the Natural History museum where they had an exhibit on based on dinosaurs. This allowed me to get a better understanding of what my colour scheme was going to be. There were different tones within the dinosaurs within a brown colour scheme. I also came across Marine Invertebrates which had a range of sea life from coral to different species of fish. I found a lot more beneficial to my theme rather than the V&A as it showed me how wildlife adapt to survive in natural circumstances which is a similarity of disability.
Tuesday, 14 February 2012
After doing a lot of research I have made the decision to move onto creating the designs. I began to look at the mutations of the human cells which cause a natural disability and took the idea of molecular bonds and the structures of human cells to create the texture I wanted to use. I started to then manipulate fabric and sew up circle attaching them together with a few stitches to recreate a similar effect. I got inspired by a few images which enabled me to understand the way in which I would construct certain features and techniques.
Tuesday, 7 February 2012
These drawings were created for the purpose of being in my portfolio as I don't draw enough. I had to break down the light and dark tones and look at it as shapes rather than a complex composition. I blocked out the colour and began to build on the layers to then shade in areas that were dark and work in chalk where it was light. I think this way of drawing helps me and is more appropriate for my style. At the moment I have been trying to complete deadlines for my portfolio so I haven't been blogging as much, but I thought I would share with you what I have being doing!