Since the delay of making my hoody I have been able to finally finish it completing all sections making it wearable.Since I last posted I had over locked all the shoulder seams together, side seams, sewing the sleeve head into the armsyce using pins to distribute fabric and completing by sewing down the arms.
The next step was to over lock the curved edge of the hood on both fabric and lining sewing both the same fabrics together making sure they have the right sides together. Then we had to do the annoying button holes which decided to work against me whatever I did but in the end I managed to make them equal.I did this wrong twice but I learned from my mistakes as I sewed to close to the edge not leaving enough for a channel and sewing the button holes on diagonally which is of course incorrect.
When I had got through that challenging task I placed the fabric and lining hood pieces together making sure the right sides were together with the over locker and stitched a retaining row close to the edge. After that I had to make a 1.5cm channel away from the edge all around the curved edge of the hood.
The next step was to match the notches on the hood to meet the CB piece of the bodice and distribute the distance with pins giving the Hood ease throughout the hood making sure I overlap where it crosses over. To make sure this would look professional I had to neaten the edge with over locking.
After weeks of fighting with the embroidery machine I finally had the button holes to thread my cording through. This took me ages trying to figure out why it wouldn't move up and then some good advice came into good use by using a safety pin making it easier to maneuver through the small channel.
The next stage was to sew on the cuffs using very delicate ribbing yet again ganging up on me not wanting to persevere with what I wanted it to do. First of all we had to turn the ribbing the other way round and pin to wrist evenly using the distributing techniques easing the fabric in. Evidently, the ribbing frayed so much I had to raise my ribbing up to allow it to all trap in and make it look more appealing. I had to pull the ribbing whilst over locking to make sure no unwanted heaps of fabric were caught up. I repeated this process again for the other cuff.
The final step was to create the ribbing for the bottom of the hoody and because we didn't have the right ribbing to create the right stretch we simply decided to use the fabric we used to make the hoody. We measured the mannequin to 38.5cm and measured the length and folded over how much width we wanted to then cut out. I sewed 2cm seam allowance to attach them together and used the same technique used for the cuffs.I found this a lot more easier to handle than ribbing whilst over locking.
Overall, I am pleased with how my hoody has turned out with the colour scheme and thick fabric used suiting a colder season. I could improve my hoody with solving minor errors that have occurred by practising the different techniques used but I have gained a lot more knowledge and skills with: using stretch fabric; costing my product and lining inside the hood allowing me to apply for future pattern cutting.