Saturday 2 April 2011

SHAPE DEVELOPMENT INSPIRED BY SEXUAL ORIENTATION.

Anything goes with shape development as long as you take a shape from an image your safe to design.

PATRICK MOHR In the image situated at the top half of the left page I took the inspiration from the bearded woman and used different threads taken from various fabric off cuts and applied them in a random distribution creating gaps and holes in the bodice which in my final design I thought would create a bigger impact creating a sense of seduction. The shape created with the masking tape was taken from the triangular bust in this image and how it’s sharp and sticks out create structure in the garment. Both of the shapes used contrast dramatically both providing a masculine and feminine aspect of the garment that portrays sexual orientation. The concept behind this collection was making woman look like men and men look like woman basing it on gender and sexual orientation. The research on the other page is Helmut Newton and George Platt Lynes both photographers that use concepts of sexual orientation for the audience to see gender in different ways.

EMPORIO ARMANI

In this design I took the shape from the buckled braces taking the long thin feature and applying it to the body entwining it under and over each other fusing different pieces together revealing small amounts of negative space. I focused on getting the textures and volume of this design instead of the shape experimenting with fabrics to see how I could make it for the next unit. The different direction of this fabric creates the folds in the leather creating external volume and additional texture to the garment. This design looks messy and other ways I could gain the same effect was if I applied fringing to formally regiment the structure of the dress. I think it creates a nice presence and would create an illusion through the garment as I could layer it up with different colours and textures making it look more interesting associating it with Sexual Orientation.I didn't know I could be inspired by such simple shapes!

KENZO BY ANTONIO MARRAS
From this image I extracted the shape of the collar producing cornered seams taking the sharp shapes and applying them within pattern cutting. I used a 1.5cm seam allowance to gain the right space to bag it out reducing bulk. This could be the way to create the structured shapes in all of the designs I have created incorporating fabric getting a bette
r idea of what the dress would look like larger scale. Cornered seams are quite a masculine shape taken from the collar shape but the model is a woman portraying the image of a transvestite. Similar to how I have displayed them in my sketchpad I could layer them up using different fabrics, thicknesses, colours and prints creating a sense of Mental Health and disability. I am pleased with the final outcome and believe that this colours works really nice with the shape created as I took a similar shade as seen in the image which is a feminine colour. Not that difficult..is it?

From this image by Cesare Paciotti I got the impression that it was trying to create a sense of Sexual Orientation using two models providing the image of lesbians of how the models are intimate with one another. I took a hidden shape as I have been using obvious shapes from the gap in between her hand and the leg revealing her other hand. This semi circular shape was an interesting shape to work with as I layered and overlapped the same shape changing the size and direction to create a single shouldered dress that simply draped across the bust. In this design I wanted to change the angle and zoom in to the shoulder feature and how it would look focusing on the detail. I used masking tape to block out the surrounding background and stand out from the dark shade used in the background. It shares a similar shape to a love heart and thought it would portray the conceptual influence of sexual orientation very well using more geometrical shapes and not using obvious shapes.

From all these experments I am pleased how I have presented Sexual Orientation with all different uses of materials, techniques and shape developments. If I were to improve I would only add small details and use a similar colour scheme used in the image to gain the same mood shared in the image.


No comments:

Post a Comment