Thursday 28 April 2011

NEW FOUND ADDICTION: FABRIC COLLECTING

You might think I have become slightly obsessive over fabric swatches but actually I just emailed and applied a few too many shops and stores. Whoops! I think I might still have some to come in the post!
Anyway, I have managed to receive some over sized samples this week allowing me to see a larger scale of the fabric to see alot of t
he pattern and work out how much I would need for my design. Yet again I have mixed & Matched large retailers like John Lewis with smaller shops to compare prices and quality of fabric.

DALSTON MILL FABRICS
When I was applying for these samples I kept in mind that I wanted a diverse range of fabrics so applied for bridal patterns and swatches to see all the different embellishments and thickness of fabric.
1. 100% Polyester, Width: 55 Inches and £19.95 a metre.
2. 100% Cotton, Width: 45 Inches and £6.60 a metre.
3. 100% Cotton, Width: 45 Inches and £6.60 a metre.
I think these prices were reasonable and out of all 3 I think 2
and 3 obtained the same qualities and would be ideal for the base of my skirt. I think they share the same vibrant texture in the pattern and middle weight which will work nicely with the wodding in between. These prices were within my price range ideal for my target market making it affordable for someone to purchase.

LAURA ASHLEY
1. 100% Silk, Width: 138cm and £ 25.20 a metre.
2. 55% Cotton, 45% Viscose, Width: 140cm and £ 34.00 a metre.
3.
55% Cotton, 45% Viscose, Width: 140cm and £ 34.00 a metre.
4. 51% Linen, 49% Cotton, Width: 137cm and £ 13.50 a metre.
5. 54% Viscose, 40% Cotton, 6% Polyester, Width: 140cm and £ 25.20 a metre.

These colours all share a slight elegance and calm mood whic
h deters away from the message of my hard working class concept so I would consider using the thickness and texture of the fabric to obtain the structure of my skirt but I would have to choose a defiant pattern and fabric choice to really express the emotions of the working class people.These prices were within my price range ideal for my target market making it affordable for someone to purchase.


JOHN LEWIS
1. 67% Polyester, 33% Cotton, Width140cm and £28.00 a metre.
2. 52% Viscose, 43% Linen ,5% Nylon, Width:140cm and £38.00 a metre.
3. 93% Viscose, 7% Polyester, Width:137cm and £40.00 a me
tre.
4. 65% Rame, 35% Viscose, Width: 134cm and £ 49.00 a m
etre.
5. 93% Viscose, 7% Poly amide, Width:137cm and £ 40.00 a
metre.
6. 90% Polyester, 10% Viscose, Width: 140cm and £ 40.00 a metre.

I think the samples John Lewis sent me were a very good size to observe the qualities and properties of the fabric and I think all of them have the striking pattern and are potential samples to be used for my skirt with a thick infrastructure. I think these will all be suitable to defy my t
heme and work well with the wodding for my quilted attempt on the panels of my skirt.These prices were within my price range ideal for my target market making it affordable for someone to purchase.


THE NATURAL CURTAIN COMPANY
1. Cotton/ Wool Mix, Width: 140cm, £60.00 a metre.
2.
Cotton/ Wool Mix, Width: 140cm, £60.00 a metre.
3. Linen/ Viscose Mix, Width: 140cm and £29.00 a metre.
4. 100% Cotton, Width: 140cm and £ 18.75 a metre.

These prices are really high but I can understand with th
e use of stitching and hand embroidery which creates a nice external texture. I would consider using some of these samples but the price makes it restricted on how much I would be able to afford. They all would be suitable for my chosen design obtaining a nice structure of the skirt compensating the wodding in a structural format.These prices were within my price range ideal for my target market making it affordable for someone to purchase.


CURTAINS,
CURTAINS,CURTAINS.
1. Viscose/Polyester, Width140cm and £20.00 a metre.
2.
Viscose/Polyester, Width140cm and £20.00 a metre.
3. Polyester, Width: 150cm and £ 9.00 a metre.
4. Polyester/Viscose, Width: 150cm and £ 13.00 a metre.
5. Polyester, Width: 140cm and £ 9.00 a metre.

These prices are ideal for my target market and the fabrics are all suitable both for my circular shapes used for the bodice and the structure of the skirt. Number 5 would be the exact weight to use for my circles not too flimsy but can hold a slight shape. The colours also blend well together and have an external pattern added to the fabric which creates a new texture and more emphasis on the fabric which will exaggerate my message and my theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment