Saturday 9 April 2011

DESIGNS BASED ON MY RESEARCH...

DESIGN 1

This design was inspired by my first mood board taking the shapes from the chains in the top left image and the size and spherical display of the bubble in the bottom left image accumulating the circular shape showing the basis of what the design will look like. Circles have been a popular shape taken from the working class pages in my sketchpad easy to replicate and layer up to create nice shapes. The design looks more simplistic than what I am actually thinking but the colours and texture will come with the fabric but I might change this design to portray the concept of darkness reflecting a working class lifestyle but inserting small glimpses of bright colours representing hope and joy expressing the individuals. This design could be successful as I have sampled during the shape developments textures I want to bring forward to use for my dress which I would display in my final design. I have an idea on how I’m going to make this creating a normal dress shape and hand sewing on all this fabric and shapes layering different colours and shapes to create an exterior shape of the normal dress block. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

DESIGN 2

This design was inspired by the mood board taking the shapes similar from the same images as design 1 because this was developing the design by making minor alterations of the shape of the shoulder and the length of the dress to go up to the hip line. I introduced another colour to see what it would look like if I were to display a conceptual influence taken from the hard working and dirty aspect of working class people. I think the shoulder would be unsuccessful to get the shape as it hasn’t turned out to look proportional but the bottom half of the dress would be successful presenting working class coherently with the colours and inaccurate shapes. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

DESIGN 3

This design was inspired by similar images to design 1 and 2 but I have changed the bottom half of the dress making it structural with contrasting elements of straight lines taken from the shapes from mood board 2 from the image of the earthquake disaster in Haiti and the pages in my sketchpad taken from natural disasters. The darker shades are influenced by the mood of the working class people still reflecting a bright hope for the future with the lighter shades seeping through. With these shapes it signifies diversity within the class system and however you look at it whatever background you come from you can get life harder or easier from how you’ve been brought up showing levels and stages of the social class cycle. This is one of my favourite designs showing diversity but I wouldn’t know how to make the bottom half of the dress but I think it has potential to display the theme. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

DESIGN 4

This design is inspired by the circular shapes on my mood board and in my sketchpad taken from experiments and images from the working class pages. I changed the length from the previous design and made the shapes more oval and spaced out enlarging the size making the concept of people growing apart due to the separation of class dividing groups and families because of their wealth. I think this design is quite simplistic and I don’t think it would be successful because it doesn’t reflect the theme but with fabrics it could be successful making my theme clearer. The colour is different creating a brightness contrasting to all the other design to see how it highlights the shapes reflecting the positives of a working class environment. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

DESIGN 5

This design still maintained the shapes of circles changing the bottom half to become asymmetrical with straight structured lines and fluently interlinking circular shapes parting on either side. These have been inspired by the disasters pages and the circular experiments on the working class pages and my mood boards. I think this dress would be unsuccessful because both parts look to confusing and detailed and would be a challenge to create and not make it look messy. I don’t like the colours I have used but they relate to a military colour palette which signifies working class but doesn’t work with these shapes. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

DESIGN 6

This design was inspired by the primary research boards taking the shapes from the machinery and the circular shapes from the mood boards and experimentation in the pages of my sketchpad based on the working class living. The concept behind this dress would be that the shapes are slightly different but actually we’re all the same species signified by the slight change in the circle but it’s still a circular shape. I think design would be successful as the shapes are easy to construct and could still be manipulated to look more interesting. The colour has been taken from my mood boards and the dull mood from the working class pages in my sketchpad. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

DESIGN 7

This design was inspired by the Shanty houses taking both colours and shapes from that research on those pages showing diversity of the infrastructure of a close community. The concept behind this is to show diversity between both shapes with the sharp lines showing difficult times and the circles showing ease and how life can only get better. I think this design will be successful because the colours work well with the shapes and reflect the hope of working class people and gratitude always looking for a brighter future. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

DESIGN 8

This design was inspired by my mood board, natural disasters pages and experiments of all my circular shape developments. I took elements from 3 different designs to see how all the shapes worked well together and I believe they create a big impact of the curved lines contrasting with the sharp lines. The concept behind this is to show how we are all different in the class system but we all have equal rights and opportunities in life available but some people have to work a lot harder to get the same thing out of life. This design would be successful because the colours work well together and the shapes reflect the diversity of social class and how important it is within our society today and back in history. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

DESIGN 9

This design was inspired by the pages based on natural disasters, mood boards and the infrastructure of the working class environment. The colours are influenced by the darkness of working class people through the research that I have displayed in my sketchpad. The concept of the structure of the design is to show stages of the class system appointing upper, middle and lower in a statutory order within every community. I think this design could be successful but I would have to make sure the structure held a good shape and maintained that shape to make it successful and the shapes worked well with the colour scheme. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

DESIGN 10

This design was influenced by the structures of buildings collapsing in the natural disasters images and the research of the working class from the fashion magazines and experiments of shape developments through my earlier stages of research. The concept is to show contrast of personality and how opportunities mean more to others and some expect things whereas people from a working class background have more gratitude for nice things to happen to them. I think this design would be successful similar to design 1 and 2 create a nice colour scheme and uplifting the mood with the slight gaps of block colours revealing through the darkness. This is the design stage of the design cycle.

1 comment: