Thursday 8 March 2012

CREATING THE CIRCLES FOR THE SHIFT DRESS...

To complete my toile of my shift dress I had to attach the neck and arm facings and the sewn up circles. I positioned these in the same way the spec drawing was done having a total of about 17 circles spiralling down. I constructed these by sewing a circle inside a circle inside another circle. This way I could get a layering effect, over locking the edges to make it appear neater. I used similar fabrics with the calico to see how the machine would take the woven fabric, as flat weave is quite thick and difficult to move. After pinning these in the way I wanted them hand stitched the inner circles to the base of the dress block. I quite like the difference of clean lines from the base and then textile detail that makes the garment more 3 dimensional.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your collection all finished! i'll have to come in at easter and see you toiles :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the circles!

    Love Aunty Christine x

    ReplyDelete